So how does one get through the summer? What do you do to keep yourself feeling slightly perkier than wilted lettuce?
For me, the following provide, if not complete relief, then distraction enough to put a stop to my incessant whining about the heat! the burning! my brain is melting!
1. Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches:
The Perfect Snack by SimplyPhoto
2. Soft, light-as-a-feather, cotton camisoles:
Romance Shell from American Eagle
3. Cherry Compote, chilled in the refrigerator:
American Cherry Compote by yoshiko314
4. A Summer Reading List:
There is something about assembling a big reading list and then coming back from the library with a tall, juicy stack of books that just feels like summer vacation to me. Summer reading is meant to be light and fun. My pile consists of chick lit, children's books, travel memoirs, animal stories, and anything whimsical that promises to take me far away.
So far, I've enjoyed:
- The Girl With No Shadow by Joanne Harris (the sequel to Chocolat)
- The Soul of a Horse by Joe Camp (if you own a horse, or ever dream of doing so one day, this should be required reading)
- The Little Lady Agency by Hester Browne (a literary cupcake -- so cute, so sweet)
- The Penderwicks on Gardam Street by Jeanne Birdsall (it feels like a children's' book from a long ago era, but it's brand-new)
And next up on my list is:A Shepherd's Watch by David Kennard (a James Herriot-esque memoir)
fireescape by lexandthacity